Welcome to The Hadhams' History Society
Purpose of the WebsiteThe purpose of this website is to aid the ongoing business of the Hadhams History Society (HHS) and to build an ongoing archive of the history of the parishes of Much and Little Hadham.
The rural Parishes of Much and Little Hadham lie in the valley of the river Ash in East Hertfordshire. The village centres are linear in character and lined with many historic buildings from the Tudor to the Victorian periods. The parish boundaries include several outlying hamlets and settlements such as Perry Green, Green Tye, Bury Green, Wellpond Green and Westland Green. Both parishes have rich historic backgrounds.
A detailed history of the two parishes was published in 1914 in “The Victoria History of the County of Hertford” vol IV ed William Page, London, Constable & Company, available in most major libraries and on line at archive.org. Since that publication local historians and others have covered more recent times and included many personal anecdotes.In 1954, the Much Hadham Women's Institute (MHWI) created a Scrap Book of the parish. This is a fascinating snap shot of village life, written by parishioners reflecting their personal views and experiences, embellished with many photographs, drawings and music. In 1999, Jean Page published "Much Hadham - A Millenium Scrapbook" at the request of Much Hadham Parish Council to celebrate the Millenium. This well illustrated work, was compiled from her own notes and was again aided by many contributions from parishioners. Sadly Jean died on 11 Dec 1999 shortly before her scrapbook was published. Stephen Ruff who was like Jean born and bred in Much Hadham, has written and published two well illustrated booklets, these were: "A Walk through Much Hadham" privately published 19xx and "Another Walk through Much Hadham" privately published in 2004. Bryan Smalley privately published a book in 1995 entitled “A Short History of Much Hadham” which again is well illustrated. Richard Maddams recently published "Hadham Headlines during the 1800’s" which features press articles about the parish from the Victorian Period. Sandra McAdam and Bill Bird wrote a “Short History of St Thomas’ Mission Hall, Green Tye 1909-2009". "A definitive history of St Andrew, Much Hadham" was written by Richard Haslam in 1986 at the behest of Much Hadham Parish Council.
Little Hadham has perhaps, been less well covered but there is a good summary account of the Hall and the Caley family on www.stortfordhistory.co.uk/thorley. A fuller account on The Hall, Gardens and Capel family has been written by Jenny Milledge “Hadham Hall and the Capel Family, Hertfordshire Garden History” Vol II ed Deborah Spring, University for Hertfordshire Press, 2012. Stephen Ruff published a booklet "A Walk Through Little Hadham in 2004 and in 2014 The Little Hadham Parish Plan Group published a booklet entitled "Little Hadham - 1900-1914" - History of its People, The Ways of Living in those Days, Houses and People in Them.
Archaeological finds in the Hadhams have been published by The Braughing Local History society and one of their most recent works gives much detail on roman pottery finds in the Much Hadham/Little Hadham border area entitled “Bromley Hall and Caley Wood Fieldwork 2009” by Mark Landon.
The Much Hadham Forge Museum gives focus to much of the local history. Many of the publications mentioned above are available there. Anyone with an interest in the history of the two parishes should visit the museum and also read some of the publications mentioned above. Click here to visit The Forge Museum website.
The Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies Centre in Hertford is also a tremendous source of original material and documents www.hertsdirect.org.
For more information on the above and any other historical enquiries please contact the Hadhams' History Society and we will be happy to try and help.